Monday, May 11, 2009

Herb-a-licious


I noticed that the more I cook at home in an effort to save more money, the more fresh herbs I use. Sure you can always substitute dried herbs, but lets be honest, it's just not as good. And some times there is no substitute, like when you need cilantro for homemade guacamole.


So this weekend I planted my herb garden, which I did last year as well. It's really easy to do and super cost effective. There are some upfront costs between 10-20 dollars depending on how many herbs you decide to plant and what supplies you already have on hand.


While you may think you don't spend $10-$20 on herbs in a season, keep in mind one package of basil from the grocery store starts at $2.50. And if you're like me and love some caprese salad, you quickly make your money back. Also the herbs can really liven-up any salad, chicken marinade or pasta dish, leading to enjoy eating at home even more.


Herb gardens are the best because you don't even need a yard to plant them in.


A simple terracotta pot will do on a porch with good sunlight. You can plant several herbs in one pot. There is also the option of a windowsill garden if you don't have a porch.


Herbs can be purchased at local nurseries, grocery stores, or home improvement stores such as the home depot. Most herbs cost between $2.50 and $5.00 each. I recommend getting the starter plants rather than the seeds, primarily for the instant gratification.


I planted basil, oregano and cilantro this year in addition to my rosemary and lavender that survived the winter freeze.


Share you herb garden plans or favorite uses for fresh herbs in the comments below.


No comments:

Post a Comment