Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Sandra's Money Saving Meals

This isn't usually a recipe reviewing site, but I thought those of you watching your grocery budget could use another good recipe website that makes healthy meals for little money.

Enter Food Network chef Sandra Lee. I'm not a huge fan of her show "Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee". But her new show "Sandra's Money Saving Meals" caught my attention. According to the show's description, the show features incredibly budget-friendly recipes for every day of the week, all based on her triple A factor of accessible, aspirational, and affordable. During the show, Sandra also gives pantry stocking tips and supermarket shopping savvy.

I wanted to try Sandra's recipe for Black Bean Burgers. I needed to buy 2 cans of black beans (89 cents a piece), 1 onion (69 cents), and two Kaiser rolls (75 cents a piece) - everything else I had on hand. They were super delicious and relatively healthy! Black beans are a good source of protein, and much cheaper than meat. Not only was this a cheap, easy and healthy meal, but the other half of my bean mixture will be used in tonight's dinner for Black Bean Enchiladas.

Two dinners for under 5 bucks?! I'll take that!

Does anyone have other good websites or cookbooks they'd like to share for budget-friendly meals?

3 comments:

  1. I would recommend Eating Well, the magazine. They often have quick and cheap dinners that are also nutritious. Sometimes, they even list the cost per serving, which can be as little as $1. Worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Eating Well, Jo! For others who want the link:

    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_budget_friendly_recipes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made Sandra's Black Bean burger recipe, and they were fantastic! i used a little habanero flakes for a nice kick. next time, i'll need to add a little more salt though. other than that, they were great!

    ReplyDelete