Monday, March 22, 2010

GYOP (Grow Your Own Produce)


Let me start off by saying that I have a black thumb. I would like to think that I don't - I've been able to keep a plant alive at my office for almost a year, but that is literally the only plant that has lasted longer than a month. I'm making it my goal (in my new house!) to get some semblance of a garden started, and this article from Women's Health Magazine really helped me get an idea of what to expect.

I really love the idea of growing my own produce and herbs. First off, it saves you a ton of money. Have you ever purchased fresh herbs at a grocery store? For the amount you spend on one plant (typically around $4 for a mature one, significantly less than that for seeds), you get a lousy few ounces at the supermarket. Another benefit is you know exactly where your produce came from, and it is most likely organic. And doesn't it feel good to play in the dirt?!

But I'd love to hear from some of you who have small gardens or windowsill gardens - what do you plant? Has it been successful for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment