Monday, July 5, 2010

Happy July 5th!

I hope you all had a great weekend, and if you're lucky enough, it's still going! Maybe you set off fireworks, maybe you had a picnic with family and friends, or maybe you hosted a 4th of July fete. I'm in the latter category, and as I'm cleaning up and wondering what to do with the 2 cases of leftover Bud Light (gross), I'm also wondering what to do with the hamburger buns, potato salad, cookies, cake, beans...it can't all fit in the fridge and it's been well-documented that I hate leftovers (or at least having them more than once). What's a girl to do?

If you have lots of leftover hamburger/hot dog buns....

*Use the hamburger buns for breakfast sandwiches (I'm patiently waiting as my husband's making me a fried egg and cheese sandwich).
*Season with olive oil, salt and pepper and toast buns for croutons.
*Check out more recipes and unique ways to use leftover buns from Real Simple. Mmmm...bruschetta!

How about leftover potato salad?

*Potato salad sandwich from Cheap Eats sounds pretty good....or these faux latkes with tuna from Lunch in a Box sound interesting....

Other miscellaneous things to use up: chop up leftovers from your crudite platter and put in a salad, crumble leftover hamburger meat and toss into tomato sauce and spices to make sloppy joes, and if you've got any leftover corn on the cob, you could cut off the kernels, mix with black beans, red onions, avocado, lime juice and chili powder and you've got a great salad!

Just for fun, here's a picture of my American flag cake!


Okay, back to cleaning up - have a good rest of your weekend!

1 comment:

  1. This might sound strange, but I used a can of (cheap) beer last time I made a pork roast in the crock pot for pulled pork. It was really good!

    ReplyDelete